Saturday, October 13, 2012

Winter Garden

I really like vegetables.  I like fresh vegetables from my garden especially.  Here in North Dakota, we have a short growing season, 5 months if we are lucky.  More if we are lucky enough to have season extension.  Maybe next year......






There are little salad mix sprouts there!
Sorry for the drift, but I was visioning.  I decided that I did not want to wait until April of next year from more fresh veggies of my own growing so I started an indoor winter garden.  It's small, but hopefully it will keep my family in fresh lettuce, spinach, arugula and herbs for the winter.






The garden itself is pretty much like my greenhouse, but I have it set up for longer term growth.  There are two, 48" fluorescent light fixtures hanging from our greenhouse racks.  Each fixture has one warm bulb and one cool bulb.  Four rectangular wood planting boxes finish off the setup.  I filled them with potting soil and a little bit of our seed starting mix.  We already have salad mix, arugula and spinach sprouting.  Hopefully the lettuces and herbs will follow soon.

Stay tuned................





No comments:

Post a Comment