Thursday, November 22, 2012

Garlic Galaxy

At least that's what the husband called it when he saw ten pounds of garlic laid out for planting.  As we continue to grow, I imagine the amounts will get larger.  Last year we planted two and a half pounds.  We ended up with about seven pounds.  After selling some, we will barely have enough left for us to get through winter so more garlic it is!

I planted three different types, one softneck called Chet's Red Italian and two hardnecks called Metchi and German Extra Hardy.  I try different varieties at this point until I find strains that will be steady producers every year.

Softneck garlic is the kind of garlic you tend to find in garlic braids and the like as well as the grocery store.  It usually stores very well which makes it good for shipping.  It does not tend to grow very well in North Dakota though as I learned with the two varieties I tried last season.

Hardneck garlic can still store for a decent amount of time if harvested and cured properly, but I really like it for the beautiful scape it sends up as it starts to mature.  Scapes make wonderful pesto and go very well in egg dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment