Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pulled Pork

Hubby hosted a golf tournament this past weekend that has been going on for the last 12 years.  It is an annual drinking gathering for a group of 10 of his friends.  I was put in charge of food and libations of which I was all too willing to do.  Being the food snob that I am, we do not have a large gas BBQ, only the traditional Weber kettle.  While it is the largest one they make, it is till not large enough to handle BBQing for a large gathering so I elected to make something that could be prepared in advance and reheated.  I chose pulled pork and beans.  Here is the lovely story of my pulled pork.

First, one must start with a large quantity of meat, pork shoulder to be exact, a super-awesome spice mix and a bunch of whole, peeled garlic cloves.










Next, very thinly slice the garlic.  I am not particularly adept at this task so I have a handy, dandy garlic slicer from Pampered Chef.  You will also need a small, sharp knife for the next step.









Cut little slits in the roast, on all sides and insert a few slices of garlic.  This will infuse the roast with the flavor of the garlic.  Use as much or as little as you like.









Mmmmm, garlic!









That super-awesome spice mix I was referring to?  This is where you sprinkle it all over that garlic inserted roast and pat it to adhere.  A fair amount of spice is used here so the meat gets nice and flavorful.







Once all of the spice rubbing is complete, you will have something that looks sort of like this.  There is much more roast here than I normally make, but I was feeding a bunch of drunk people.







After 18 hours at 200 degrees, the roasts will look something like this and pretty much fall apart when taken out of the pan.










I then proceed to shred it all up, stir in a smidge of BBQ sauce and let people eat as they see fit.  This time around we had it on buns.  I have also served it in burritos to much success.  Yummy, porky goodness!








Pulled Pork
Spice Rub:
  • 2 tsp whole cumin seeds
  • 2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp peppercorns
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
  • 2 Tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
  • 1 tsp ground chipotle
  • 2 Tbsp oregano
1 pork shoulder, 10-12 lbs
3-5 fresh garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 cup barbecue sauce

In a spice grinder, combine all of the spices and grind them to your desired consistency.  If you do not have a spice grinder, you can use a mortar and pestle or a ziploc bag and rolling pin.

Stab slits into the pork, and slide a sliver of fresh garlic into each slit.  Take your rub and rub it all over the meat.  Be sure to get into the slits and rub each side generously.

You can smoke the pork if you have a smoker or place it in the oven and cook for 10-12 hours at 225 degrees, covered with foil.

Reserve some of the juices and shred the pork.  Stir in reserved juices and barbecue sauce and serve with additional sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment