I rode to Fargo with my friend Annie and we met up with the rest of our party for a yummy pizza dinner at Rhombus Guys. Our train was not due to arrive until 2:15 so we had some time to kill. Unfortunately, Target closes at midnight and movies don't show too late on Tuesday nights. Buffalo Wild Wings it was for water and chocolate sundaes. Our train arrived a little late, but we wasted no time getting settled and falling asleep.
I have never taken so long of a train ride before. Back in my rat race days, I rode BART to Oakland or ACE Train to Fremont for work, but that was commuting. Seven plus hours on a train is something else entirely! What a nice experience! Not that I would do this all the time, but it was more comfortable than a plane, there was room to wander around, an observation car and really expensive, crappy food (that part was reminiscent of plane travel). If you have the time, I say, give it a try.
The next three days were a complete whirlwind of activity for all of us. Classes, workshops, exhibit halls, networking and eating. There was some sleeping in there, but not much. I learned about managing my future high tunnel, keeping records on my farm, scaling up my operation, rotating crops and assessing mineral deficiencies in my plants. I also met a bunch of like-minded "crazies" and got to know my friends at FARRMS better.
Did I mention the food? This conference walks the walk when it comes to local and organic. Rather than being in it for the money, they are in it for the greater good. As much of the food as possible was sourced locally and from attendees. One of the speakers in my scaling up workshop co-owns a farm called Driftless Organics. They grow potatoes and sunflowers among other things and supplied some of the vegetables we ate for our meals.
| Thursday night dinner |
![]() |
| Fourth child? |
There were so many moments of joy for me during these three days, I could not attempt to recount them here. I feel so blessed to have been able to go and learn as I am just starting out. Thank you Annie for thinking of me.

No comments:
Post a Comment