Saturday, July 28, 2012

Garden Update

There has been so much going on in the garden the last few weeks, I have not had much energy at the end of the day to do much else, hence the lack of blog posts.  We have been having a great time selling at some local markets over the last several weeks and working out the kinks of our packaging and booth layout.  Munchkin is an excellent salesperson.  I foresee being able to drop her at market by next year and she will take care of it all.

In the garden, the plants are taking off.  I have had to prune the lemon cucumbers and pumpkins because we couldn't walk around them.  Tomatoes are coming in very well and green beans started last week.  I get really excited about the melons.  They are a challenge in these neck of the woods, so to have success in that department is a true accomplishment.  I have been very happy to find several large melons on my vines.  Here's hoping the weather holds so they can mature!

Garlic has been another one of my new adventures this year.  I planted four varieties last fall, covered them with a nice warm blanket of straw and hoped for the best.  The plants came up pretty early, which you can see a picture of in this post.  I harvested them last week and was very happy with the result.  The bulbs are curing now for long term storage and we had some with our Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner tonight.  Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment